Suggest remedies for a lump in the armpit

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
I noticed a lump in my armpit today. When I touch it, it feels sore. I feel something like a hard or swollen vein going down from my armpit to my arm about an inch. I have no idea what this is or if I should see a doctor.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be a boil or a lymph node

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
The history of a sore lump in armpit noticed today, with an attached hard or swollen vein is surely an infective or inflammatory lesion.
Surely needs a clinical evaluation, examination and investigations to know the exact cause and get started on a prescription based antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medication.
The most probable causes are:
A boil - if the swelling is attached to the skin, can see a central spot called punctum and moves with skin.
Lymph node - if deep seated and skin can be moved over it. There may be an infective focus in the same sided upper limb or breast area.

Please check and give feedback.
You may also attach a photograph with this query if possible.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.