Suggest recommended dosage of folic acid

i am planning for a baby. pls provide name of folic acid tablet,dosage and what time i should take it?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Folic acid before conception Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query According to the guidelines folic acid supplementation should be given three months prior to conception to prevent neural tube defects. We give 5mg of folic acid every morning after food daily until the end of first trimester. It popularly comes as Folinal or Folvite. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Follow-up: Suggest recommended dosage of folic acid 3 minutes later
can i have folic acid tablets during periods before conception?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be taken Detailed Answer: Hello You can take folic acid during periods. Periods is not a contraindication to consume folic acid. Please take it everyday of the month till the end of the first trimester Regards