Suggest personalized diet plans and motivation tips for exercising, BMI of 25

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hi Doctor,
My BMI is 25. Can u suggest me personalized diet plans and motivation tips for exercising. Am a south indian so my food habits are based on this. As of now i go for walk for 30 mins 6 days a week.
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Grace Abraham 2 days later

It would be good if you can provide details of your daily routine eating habit from morning until night, and mention if you are a vegetarian or non-vegetarian. Let me know your goal for weight loss, along with your anthropometric details.

Give the frequency of consuming the following foods in a week:

Non- vegetarian foods, Eggs, Sweets or chocolates, soft drinks, fruit juices, bakery foods, alcohol or smoking habits, and also about your any form of physical activity that you are doing on a regular basis.

Kindly reply with details that will help me to plan your diet chart.

Grace Abraham
Follow-up: Suggest personalized diet plans and motivation tips for exercising, BMI of 25 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply.First of all can i know what does anthropometric mean?
Below are the details you wanted:
1.Am a 'Pure Vegetarian'
2. My eating routine is :
Morning- one glass of hot water+lemon+honey
- one glass milk(boost)
- breakfast - two idlis or two dosas or cup of upma
- about 11 am - one glass (self made)mousambi juice
Afternoon - two chapathis and one cup rice and one sweet
Evening - one glass XXXXXXX XXXXXXX tea and two XXXXXXX biscuits
- one apple
Dinner - three dosas/ three chapathis with curry

My goal is to reduce 5-6 by Dec 2012.
I consume sweets,chocolates,bakery food - 4 times a week
Fruit juice - 5 times a week
Eggs- twice a week
Physical activity - min 30 mins walking all days in the week
Answered by Grace Abraham 19 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I am sorry; I did not tell you about the anthropometric details in my initial reply. It simply means your height, weight, waist circumference, hip circumference, etc.

Given your Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 kg/m, I answer accordingly. Please let me know if there are any corrections to be made. Your BMI falls into overweight category, the normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m. Initially you can have a target of losing half kilo in a week, which will aid in reducing 2 kg in a month. Gradual reduction of weight will help not to regain the lost weight.
In order to reduce your weight, it is necessary for diet modifications and lifestyle changes. Your diet should be high in fiber, which includes complex carbohydrate XXXXXXX foods and low in fat. Include more of raw fruits and vegetables in the diet; avoid saturated fats and oily fried foodstuffs. Keep yourself much hydrated; take at least 3-4 liters of water every day.

To start the day, eat a healthy breakfast with all essential nutrients, with any one fruit in the morning Try to avoid oily fried foods like vada, poori etc and also chutney made out of coconut or groundnut, instead choose sambar or onion / tomato / mint / Coriander chutney. You can take idli or dosa with sambar and upma prepared with vegetables.
Avoid adding Boost to milk, since it is high in calories and it is designed only for children. You can plain milk or tea with less sugar.

Take XXXXXXX tea without sugar, instead of juice as a mid-morning snack along with some hi-fiber biscuits. XXXXXXX tea helps in fat not being stored in the body and aids in weight loss.

For lunch, restrict on rice, take three Roti without oil , with vegetables and dhal along with a glass of Skimmed Buttermilk. Include salads on a regular basis to increase the fiber content in the diet and avoid sweets, pappad, pickles that are high in calories.

During evening, have a very light snack like boiled corn or any fruit or a katori of sprouts or two slices of wheat bread sandwich or low fat fruit flavored yogurt along with XXXXXXX tea without sugar.

Have an early dinner before 8 pm, avoid rice and any preparations made from rice like idli, dosa, idappam during this time, have either roti made with wheat flour or jowar flour without oil,or any preparation made out of ragi or Broken wheat upma along with vegetables and dhal, include salads also.

Bedtime - a fruit or a glass of skimmed milk or buttermilk can be taken.

Fruits like Banana, Seethaphal, Sapota, Avocado, Watermelon, Mango and all Root vegetables (except radish, turnip, carrot) to be avoided in the diet.
There should be a gap of 1.5 hrs- 2 hrs time intervals before you go to bed, after dinner.
Chicken or fish can be taken twice weekly, preferably in a curry form without coconut or cashew nut used for the preparations.
Boiled egg white is preferred rather than whole egg.
Along with diet modifications, a minimum 30-45 minutes brisk walk or physical activity of moderate intensity, this improves overall health. Include 'Warm-up' and 'cool-down’ periods, before and after the exercise regimen. Forty-five minutes per day of moderate intensity physical activity provide many health benefits.

Hope I answered your query. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Grace Abraham.