Suggest pain relief for osteoarthritis knee

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi i am 51 years. Since 23/12/13 my left knee is very painful. I have been to my GP who had given me a painkiller and Vimnovo to take for 5 days. That is finished and it is still painful . I fell on my right knee 6 years ago. I got treatment for that and that knee is manageable. Today i got both knees x ray. The xray report said the following: BOTH KNEES Bilateral osteoarthritic changes seen evidenced by peaking of the intercondylar eminence, patella spurring and joint space reduction.[ L>>R]. No lysis or fracture seen. Fabellae noted bilaterally. Could you advice on medication and treatment. Thanks
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You should do following Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. To have relief in osteoarthritis knee,you should do following- -Start doing exercises for quadriceps muscles.You may learn this from your physiotherapist. -Start doing warm fomentation with rubber bag over knee for at least 3 times a day. -Take a good analgesic like advil or aleeve. -There are some dietary substances like glucosamine ,chondroitin sulfate,MSM which can be taken OTC.These substances help in repairing of damaged cartilage of knee in early stages. -Avoid squatting movements at knee. -In early stages exercises, medicines ,joint supplements & intra articular injections are helpful & may revert the changes but in late cases joint replacement is only option. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care