Suggest pain medication when on BP medications

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Im having a hip operation next month and also have back pain. I also take blood pressure medications. What pain medicines can I take without raising blood pressure. Im a 57 year old male. No other physical issues
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acetaminophen & Aspirin are relatively safe. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX This is just to let you know that all nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in doses adequate to reduce inflammation and pain can increase blood pressure in both normotensive and hypertensive individuals. In addition, NSAID use may reduce the effect of all antihypertensive drugs except calcium channel blockers. The available data (international clinical trials & studies) suggest that there is a significant correlation between regular consumption of painkillers and incidence of hypertension in healthy population and that the correlation strengthens with more frequent use. If you have high blood pressure or heart conditions and would like to take pain control medications, discuss your options with your treating doctor beforehand. Most experts agree that acetaminophen and aspirin are the safest pain relief choices for people with high blood pressure. If you do not want to take pain medications for relief of pain other alternatives like ice packs (for acute pain) and heating pads (for chronic pain) can bring relief. Physical activity may help with some kinds of pain, like that of arthritis. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards