Suggest medicines for bad constipation?

I am not getting motion from past 2 days .please suggest some mediine..
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
For short term constipation, you can get symptomatic relief by using laxatives like Agoral chewable chocolate, Alophen, Bisolax, etc. All these are for short term relief only and should not be used on regular basis.
For a long term relief in recurrent constipation, there are many things you can do to help constipation. They include

1. Eating more fruits, vegetables and grains, which are high in fiber

Foods XXXXXXX in SOLUBLE Fiber: Oatmeal or oat bran; Brown rice; Orange, grapefruit, XXXXXXX plantain

Foods that can act as laxatives: Prunes, figs, Psyllium husk, shredded wheat, flaxseed (oil), Senna, Cascara sagrada, Aloe vera juice, Dandelion root, Molasses, Liquorice, etc.

2. Drinking plenty of water and other liquids

3. Getting enough exercise, abdominal exercises are best to improve gut motility.

4. Taking time to have a bowel movement when you need to. Visit the toilet for 15 minutes in the morning, even if you are unable to have a bowel movement. This relaxes and stimulates your digestive system.

5. Relaxation and stress management techniques.

6. Proper dietary habits, regular meals, not missing meals and breakfast,etc. Sit quietly for 15 minutes after eating a meal to aid in digestion.

7. Cessation of smoking and tobacco use, excess dependence on sodas, colas and caffiene.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.