Suggest medicine for migraine headache apart from taking paracetamol?

I often get migraine headache and I end up taking paracetamol tablets as remedy...Coz my entire day is gone if it comes. I'm sure the tablets aren't the answers, please give me the effect of taking tablets. Are there any remedies for it or precautions that can be taken to avoid it?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Preventive measures available... Detailed Answer: Hi, Migraine which is one of the most important cause of chronic headache can be prevented, not cured. I understand it's a troublesome issue; but if the pain is less frequent say not more than twice or thrice a month, you can safely continue using paracetamol tablets for remedy. It's use has no serious implications. However if they are occurring every week (once or more than once a week) or if the headaches are very severe, you need to use preventive medicines. Propranolol, gabapentine, sibellium, amitryptilline and other drugs are widely used as migraine preventive drugs. I prescribe sibelium or amitrytilline to most of my patients. You can learn about these medicines or perhaps start taking them after consulting your treating doctor. I would also like to share with you that a strict lifestyle has equally important role in preventive migraines. I hope you know that. If you are not fully aware, the following changes would help. 1. Never skip food. Fasting will start migraine attacks. 2. Sleep at regular interval and sleep for minimum of 6-8 hours. Inadequate or no sleep is also going to give you a headache 3. Avoid going out in sun for prolonged hours. 4. Avoid strong perfumes and smell. 5. Make sure you get febrile (fever) conditions treated early. It can worsen migraine spell 6. Start exercise - morning walks, yoga, transcedental meditation and other stress relieving methods is going to be helpful. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards