Suggest medicine for cold and cough during pregnancy

Mar 2016

Hello Doctor, Hope you are doing good. My Wife XXXXXXX currently 15 week pregnant is having Cold & Cough still last 3 days, though they are in the initial stage, even after taking steam with Vicks regularly her cold is not coming down & her cough just started couple of days back. Hence, can you please advice some prescription for her Cold & Cough. Thanks in advanceā€¦
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. From your given history and clinical picture, I can assume that your wife is mostly suffering from dust allergy and common cold due to altered immunity in response to seasonal changes or in contact with allergen and dust particles. In this case, I would treat her by combined medication of levocetirizine and montelukast which act as anti histamine and leukotriene receptor antagonist respectively. Nasal decongestant like oxymetazoline may be advisable for her. They reduce inflammation of upper respiratory tract and help to get relief from presenting condition. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from her physician. Some basic home remedies can improve her condition and prevent recurrence: a) Drinking plenty of water or fruit juice to stay hydrated and keep throat moist. b) Inhaling steam or use saline nasal spray to ease nasal congestion and drippy nose. c) Staying away from household dust, pollens, powders, droplets, smoke, allergen substances etc. d) Taking one teaspoon honey & tulsi juice in the morning or hot drink like milk at bed time is quite helpful. e) Taking hot shower bath, sleep with an extra pillow under head and vitamin-C supplements are very much essential. Hope it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me. Wish her good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW