Suggest medicine and long term solution to improve and retain Vitamin D levels?

I have had my Blood Test done recently and was shocked to see that my 25-OH VITAMIN D (TOTAL) was 8.85 ng/ml which should be between 30-100 ng/ml for sufficiency. I do get frequent joint pains but could not understand those since my age is just 27. My calcium levels are normal. Please suggest a medicine and long term non-medical solution to improve and retain my Vitamin D levels.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need treatment for the deficiency Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I have read your query and also seen the uploaded report on the query page. You have Vitamin D deficiency state and this needs to be treated due to low value of the same. I am glad the calcium levels are normal. I would suggest the following remedies: - 50,000 IU of vitamin D orally once weekly for 2-3 months as initial treatment. Followed by maintenance/prevention daily dose of 2000 IU or more will be needed to avoid recurrent deficiency. Please discuss with your primary care physician about the same treatment, and proceed accordingly. For long term non-medical solution, take a sun bath often or expose yourself to the sun rays in the morning hours daily for about 20 to 30 mins. Hope this helps you. take care and regards,