Suggest medication to postpone periods

Question
Hi doctor i m XXXXXXX my marriage cereminy is ay 6th n my mensuration cycle is of 27th i.e my date is on 6th nov n 2nd december i need to prepost my dates for this days only please suggest
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Norethisterone is best to postpone periods.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I suggest Progesterone medication (Norethisterone 5 mg) tablets 2 times, starting 3 days before expected day of menstruation to my patients who wish to post pone periods. It can be continued till you do not want your periods. Your treating doctor will know about this medicine and can prescribe it to you.

Period will resume as you stop the medicine.

This medicine is associated with some minor side effects like nausea, vomiting, mood changes. Rarely major side effect like thromboembolism is seen if the person is very obese, hypertensive or other risk factors. Therefore please use this medication under supervision of your doctor.

Hope this helps. Please ask if you have more questions.

Good luck!!

Follow-up: Suggest medication to postpone periods 1 hour later
I want to prepone ny cycle please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its better to postpone than prepone the periods.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

Its not a good idea to prepone the periods, rather I suggest you to postpone it. Because if you pre pone the periods you might end up with irregular cycle or you may have further episodes of spotting (which is unpredictable), also you might feel uncomfortable during your marriage holidays.

As I advise my patients, You can start taking progesterone tablets 3 days before the expected day of menses and continue till you don't want your periods.

Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit.

Good luck!!

If i postpone my cycle for 8 days whether there will heavy bleeding. Moreover sugest me name of such tablet

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can take tablests to decrease bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for the follow up question. Yes you might have slightly heavy bleeding when compared to other cycles, but you can take some medications like Mefenamic acid+ Tranexamic acid combinations during the period time to reduce the bleeding.
There are so many brand names available with NORETHISTERONE content, so please consult your doctor for a prescription.
Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!