Suggest medication to postpone menstrual periods

I have to travel for a week during my menstrul period cycle. I'm going for a holiday trip. So I want to delay my menstrual cycle for one week. Could you please suggest any medicine for this.
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can use Norethisterone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for your question.

For postponing your menstrual periods, you can take Norethisterone 5 milligrams, three times a day starting from three days prior to the expected date of your periods till the time you want your periods to be postponed.

But you can get this only on prescription from a doctor. Please do consult your local gynecologist for a prescription.

I hope I have answered your question. You are most welcome to ask me if you have any doubt or if you have any further questions.

Wishing you happy holidays.

Follow-up: Suggest medication to postpone menstrual periods 3 days later
thanks Doctor for answering my question. Could you please let me know will there be any side effects in taking these tablets and maximum how many days is preferable to take.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mild side effects.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, there will be some mild side-effects like nausea, headaches, mood swings, hot flashes, and some mild upper abdominal discomfort. And they will decrease after a few days.

You can postpone your periods by two weeks to one month, this is a progesterone only pill, that means it prevents ovulation also, but it is not advisable to take it for long periods of times in this particular way.

You can continue to take this tablet as long as you wish (for contraception), but in a different formulation, that is 30 Micrograms once a day as a single therapy.

Instead you can also choose combined formulations, which contain both estrogen and progesterone.

Taking progesterone only pill will completely stop periods as long as you continue to take this medicines, but the combined pills will have withdrawal bleeding every month, but will prevent ovulation, hence will prevent pregnancy.

Please discuss with your family doctor or your gynecologist for choosing the appropriate formulation and correct method of using such medicines.

Do not forget that these are medicines, which when not taken properly will have bad effects on your body.

I hope I have answered all your questions, you are welcome to ask me if you any further concerns.

Warm regards,