Suggest medication that can be taken with Norco after orthopedic surgery

After having orthopedic surgery, what would be a safe breakthrough medication when taking Norco?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: I wouldn't recommend stronger meds ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I have gone through your query with diligence, and being an orthopedic resident I should let you know that your doctor has given you one of the most effective medications for pain management in the form of norco. Norco contains the active ingredients hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Hydrocodone is a narcotic analgesic and works very well in controlling pain. I understand that even such a strong pain management medication has not helped to entirely control your pain, but trust me ma'am this medication itself has its truck load of side effects, I wouldn't advise medication stronger than this. Orthopedic surgeries are all quite severe and result in serious pain, but it only lasts for the first few days after surgery and gets better from there on. As a well-wisher I would request you to endure the pain for a while longer instead of shifting to a stronger medication. If at all you cannot tolerate the pain at all, then request for oxycodone which is a slightly stronger pain management medication. I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Suggest medication that can be taken with Norco after orthopedic surgery 11 hours later
I understand. I was actually looking for an OTC medication to take between the doses of Norco. Since my arm throbs constantly. If it is not advised/safe then I will endure the pain.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Best to avoid, but can try diclofenac if you need Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. I am sorry you have to go through this ma'am, but I see patients on a daily basis who suffer with pain during the initial few days after the surgery. It gradually subsides, but the pain would be quite intense during the first few days ma'am. Do not let this worry you, as it only gets better with time. As for a medication in between the norco, I would advise against it, but if the pain is very severe then you could try diclofenac sodium, but please use this only if completely required. I hope and pray you recover at the earliest and enjoy nothing but good health thereafter. Best wishes.