Suggest medication for running nose and cold for 3 years old

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi, Iam XXXXX,my kid is 3years old she is often getting cold,running nose,im using Tminc syrup for cold,even after three days course im nt able to see any diffference in her,is their any other syrup to control cold and running nose. Thanks, XXXXX.
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: cetrizine in prescribed dose. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Children usually get frequent cold and running nose because of common cold whic is a virus infection. The mainstay of treatment in common cold is to decrease nasal congestion by giving oral antihistamines such as chlorpheniramine maleate, cetirizine, and nasal decongestant such as phenylephrine. Tmnic contains chlorpheniramine maleate and phenylephrine. You ca use cetrizine containing syrup if you feel there is response to Tmnic in prescribed dose. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Suggest medication for running nose and cold for 3 years old 20 minutes later
how much dosage and how many days per day i can give? sorry how many times per a day i can give?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Give cetirizine after prescription from doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thank you for getting back. The suggested dose of cetirizine in a 3 year old child is 2.5mg (2.5mL) twice daily. Cetirizine is available in syrup form in the strength of 5mg/5mL. Cetirizine is a prescribed drug, so I suggest you to give the drug after consulting the pediatrician for prescription after examination of the child. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.