Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest medication for irritablity due to teething problem in a child

Question
My daughter is going to be 2yrs old in next month, now she has started getting canine tooth and since last 4 days she has become very stubborn, not eating properly nor proper sleep. we suspect this could be due to teething progress please suggest some medicine especially calcium and other possible remedy.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can give calcarea phos Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. As per the history posted here it appears that the child is irritable due to teething problem only.At this age, they also do many activities to draw elders attention towards them.It should be carefully observed and dealt with. Please make a note that her diet should be rich with fruits ,vegetables and dietary fibers.At this stage, it is not recommended to give any supplemental calcium but you can try Calcarea Phos (a homeopathic medicine)which has shown good results in many of my patients between age group of 2 to 5years. Also make a note that the child should frequently wash her hands before putting her fingers in the mouth.This prevents diarrhea and stomach infections which are again common in this age group. Hope I have answered your query. Please let me know for further help. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest medication for irritablity due to teething problem in a child 22 minutes later
Dear Dr. thanks a lot for your valuable inputs, however please advise a medicine to clear stomach germs which also could be the reason.

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Albendazole Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. There are Albendazole syrups available for clearing stomach germs.(peadriatic usage)You can give them. Please let me know for further help. Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest medication for irritablity due to teething problem in a child 2 hours later
Thanks, also kindly let us know, is it advisable to give Phenargan if she cries a lot at night. Any severe side effects?

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 24 hours later
Brief Answer: Not recommended Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. In that case I would say please see your pediatrician before giving any self medication to child younger than two years old. Usually phenargan is not recommended under two years of age. Hope it helps. Thanks. Take care.