Suggest medication for common cold

My wife just got common cold yesterday, it appears. Please suggest a good medicine that can fix it soon.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Be patient.... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Common cold that is caused by common viruses has no specific treatment. It runs its course and resolves spontaneously. We prescribe medicines only to control symptoms; accordingly I would start her on antihistamines such as cetrizine 10mg at night for 2-3 days. Paracetamol can be added if she is running fever or suffering from body pains. In addition, encourage her to drink plenty of warm fluids. Avoid cold and refrigerated food. Avoid strenuous physical activities. Green vegetables and common fruits including oranges will help her recover fast. If at any point of time, she feels very uncomfortable or if she develops high grade fever not responding to paracetamol, visit a doctor. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards