Suggest me reasons, remedies, food guidelines and medications for bed wetting problem

My daughter is 5yrs old and having bed-wetting problem in the night, could you please help with the following: 1)Reasons/symptoms for the same 2)Medicines/Remedies[Homeopathic/Natural] to control the same along with the frequency/time 3)Food guidelines/water frequency 4)How long medication will continue 5)As she is short tempered and very often irritated/stubborn so is this the common problem of the kids of this age[5yrs] and will go own of its own or any next steps required to control the anger
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bed wetting is common problem stops in due course. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for asking query on health care magic. Bed wetting is a normal problem in children and recovers spontaneously as the age advances. Children usually develop conrtol of urination by 3 years. In some case it may be physiologically delayed by few years. In some cases it is hereditary. If parents have bed wetting problem it may be passed to their offspring. I generally give Imipramine hydrochloride 25 mg daily at bed time to my patients for about 6-8 weeks for gaining control on the bladder. Food should be given before 7 pm in the evening and no fluids including water is allowed afterwards See that child passes urine before going to bed. You try to wake her up in the middle of the night and make her pass urine. Do not discuss this problem with anybody specially in front of her friends. If she is dry any day praise the child Do not scold if she wets the bed. Keep a calender and tick the days when she is dry and compliment her. Hope this answer will serve your purpose. Please feel free to ask any more queries if required. Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD; DCH. Associate professor of pediatrics, MIMS.
Follow-up: Suggest me reasons, remedies, food guidelines and medications for bed wetting problem 22 minutes later
Thanks very much for the reply, could you please help with the following follow-up questions: 1)Side effects of Imipramine hydrochloride 25 mg tablets and for how many days its required along with time [we think 4-6 weeks is long time] are there any alternatives 2)Are there any natural/homeopathic remedies for the same as children of 5 yrs age might be reluctant to take it as its not in liquid form, also advice with any food habits as she is very reluctant for eating vegetables 3)She normally has this issue only winter night time and very rarely in summer nighrts, as she is quite arrogant/irritable quite often-is this the normal behavior or some thing that we need to pay attention immediately as going forward we do not want this to continue-please suggest with some techniques to handle this behavior as we had tried diversion techniques already which did not help as she is stubborn as well. 4)We have 10 yr old son as well but he did not had this issues so is it not sibling related 5)My daughter cries if we do not fulfill her desire on time as mentioned earlier diversion techniques are not helpful as 5 yrs of age she understands that we are telling story therefore we need some tips/methods so that she can control her anger/irritation/crying.
Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Duration of therapy can not be reduced. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your follow up query on HCM . The duration of therapy is usually 6-8 weeks. If control occurs early then period canbe reduced. Liquid preparations are not available . I am not conversant with homeopathy. Stubborn behavior is natural at that age . you ca not compare one child with another child . Each child behaves differently . Patient approach and perseverance are necessary to deal with such children . Any way such behavior is temporary and soon they grow out of it. Hope this reply is OK for you. Further queries invited . Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.