Suggest me a substitute for TUS Q-DX syrup for sore throat and cough

May 2013
Hello doctor, I am almost 8 weeks pregnant and having sore throat and cough(sometimes feel like throwing up) past 3-4 days.It usually starts when i lye down so my sleep gets disturbed a lot. My doctor has given me TUS Q-Dx syrup and cough lozenges for throat.She said it is safe but i couldnt take the tablet form because of the taste .Can i take strepsils?is it safe?please advise...
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antibiotics, antitussives Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Though cough and cold are common, they should be treated carefully during pregnancy. As you are having sore throat and cough, better to go for antibiotic course to treat the possible infection. Discuss this with your doctor and go for antibiotics. Pencillin group of drugs and cephalosporins come under category B drugs in pregnancy. You can go for them with your doctor's advice. There are no sufficient studies regarding the safety of strepsils in pregnancy. But possibly there may not be any possible adverse effects. You can try household remedies like: -Taking plenty of water, fluids etc . Warm soups, tea etc are preferable. -Stream inhalation. -Try to sleep in semirecombenent position by keeping pillows under head and back. For more details: Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.