Suggest life style modification for cholesterol control

pl suggest the life style modifiaction
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: please see below. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir I would be obliged if you can provide me the values of HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol too. This will help me in understanding your lipid profile better and give you a better advise. Please also let me know that for how long you are taking this medicine (fabitor EZ). Are you a diabetic or have high blood pressure too. If you ever had a heart attack, stroke or any other cardiovascular event Waiting for your reply. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow-up: Suggest life style modification for cholesterol control 14 hours later
Dear Doctor, pl find HDL CHOLESTEROL-46 mgm% LDL- CHOLESTEROL-125.4mgm% VLDL-48.6% From Last 3 month I am taking FABTOR-EZ ,I am not a diabetic & No History of High blood pressure. I have undergone Angiography in 2011 But Reports are absoultely normal Pl suggest lifestyle modifaction & the treatment
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please see details. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir 1. You are taking 3 medicines for cholesterol abnormalities. Was these medications started before this lipid profile or you started them after this lipid profile? I do not prescribe any medication for this kind of profile in my patients. I only advise life style modifications. However if this profile has been obtained "on treatment" then it is different. 2. The weight should be optimized (body mass index should be ideally 23. Body mass index= weight in kilogram divided by square of height in meters). Daily exercise with aim of achieving 45 minutes per day at speed of 7 km/ hour. This should be under supervision of your local physician. Avoid sweets, all kind of fried food and do not exceed prescribed calorie intake per day. You can consult a dietitian for same. The diet should be rich in fibres and must not avoid fats altogether. Unsaturated fats in prescribed amount are necessary for body. You must not take alcohol. Must not smoke. You need to get your HBA1c (a blood test) to see if you are indeed a diabetic as your Fasting Glucose is higher than normal. Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder