Suggest exercises to strengthen thighs and legs after ligament tear

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, Myself XXXX, Have a quick question related to a Knee Injury(Ligament Tear - Doctor said about 20-30% Tear) which I am carrying for the past 6 Months. During April, I fell and had a Left Knee Dislocation, was on Immobilizer for almost 2 months. After that underwent Wax Therapy for close to 15 days. Consulted my doctor he suggested I am good enough. But of late I observe that I am finding hard to walk or climb stairs. After walking for just 200 m I feel my thighs getting too stiff. Request you to suggest me exercises to strengthen my thighs and legs.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: lying flat supine on back – move your ankle up Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX I have studied your case. You may need Fresh MRI to see grade of meniscus and ligament tear. Usually after knee dislocation there can be injury to medial patello femoral ligament, so it also needs to be taken care of. I will advise to Partial tear can be managed conservatively with physiotherapy with USG and TENS and knee exercises. If there is persistent pain after physiotherapy then arthroscopic repair may be required. As per your request exercises for thigh and leg- In lying flat supine on back – move your ankle up and down[plantar flexion dorsiflexion],keeping small towel below knee-press your patella[knee cap ] on towel and hold for 15 sec,lift your leg straight alternately [10-15 times]. Lying on your tummy- flex knee alternately, make knee rotation in flexion. Sitting on chair- extend your legs alternately [hold in extension for 15 sec] Standing half squat taking support of wall to back. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.