Suggest exercise to deal with ankylosing spondylitis

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Please suggest me the excersises to deal with ankolysing spondilitis
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Ankylosing spondylosis is a degenerative problem related to spine and there is gradually increasing stiffness of the spine.
Physiotherapy, back strengthening exercises, pain killers, hot fomentation and muscle relaxants are the mainstay of the treatment.
You need to start with both active and passive back stretching and strengthening exercises along with straight leg raising exercises under the guidance of a proficient physiotherapist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Suggest exercise to deal with ankylosing spondylitis 4 minutes later
Thanks for answering the same.

Is this stiffnes in the spine permanently curable?

I am facing lot of stiffness in neck since last one year.Please suggest some excersise.thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The stiffness in the spine is not completely curable. The medicines and exercise will only retard the further progression of the disease.
For neck stiffness, Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.