Suggest dietary management for endometriosis

May 2013
Hello, I was diagnosed with stage 3 endometriosis 2 years ago and am trying to conceive through IVF due to this, unsuccessfully so far. I have read that caffeine, red meat, gluten, sugar and dairy should be avoided for those with Endo. Is there any truth to this? Is there anything natural/dietary etc that helps prevent more growths? Thank you!!
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lowering estrogen levels Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The association between food items and endometriosis is not yet proved. But according to patients experience and clinicians observation few opinions are drawn about this. Like: -Caffeine is said affect the blood pressure and blood flow. This may lead to excessive occlumilation of blood at the endometrial tissue. -Red meat, sugar, dairy products etc will increase hyperlipidemia in body. Estrogen can get produced from fatty tissue. As endometriosis is estrogen dependent, these things can increase the severity of endometriosis. And also if canned meat or daily products are used, the chemicals used to preserve the foods can encourage the implantation of cells in the abdominal tissue and increase the possibility of endometriosis. -Gluten contains gliandin protein. That said to increase bowel permeability of bowel. This may cause inflammatory changes on the abdominal tissue and that may lead to endometrial tissue implantation etc. So as per the studies available better to decrease the intake of these things. Dietary management of endometriosis is mainly aimed in lowering estrogen levels. For that low fat, fiber rich, purely vegetarian food is recommended. Including fruits and vegetables in the diet can help. Doing regular exercise is also recommend as exercise lowers the hormonal activity. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.