Suggest diet to keep high blood pressure and diabetes under control

Emergency Medicine Specialist
What is the best diet for someone suffering from High Blood Pressure and Diabetes. This is for a non vegetarian.
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Weight
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Avoid high fat and salty foods. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing your query. After reading your post, I would like to advise that you should avoid high fat foods like red meat. You can use lean mutton, as a replacement, to reduce the amount of saturated fat intake. Chicken can be taken after removing the skin. Fish can be included in the diet as it contains polyunsaturated fatty acids and the omega-3 essential fatty acids. A deep fried food should be avoided. Steamed, baked, roasted or grilled foods should be preferred. Salt used in cooking should be low in sodium. Eat 5-6 small meals instead of three big meals. Drink lots of water daily. I would also suggest that you should get your blood tested regularly for fasting blood sugar, lipid profile and thyroid profile. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help. Thanks.