Suggest diet to help control cholesterol level?

what food will help my cholestrol level..MY level is 285..
Please help me...
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query

At the outset I would like to tell you that for a cholesterol of 285 you will have to be on lipid lowering agents like atorvastatin 10 mg or rosuvastatin 5 mg. These are excellent drugs with a good safety profile.

Here are the foods to lower your bad cholesterol and increase your good cholesterol

1. Avoid oily food items, especially deep fried food items.
2. Add lots of fibre to your diet, this not only lowers your cholesterol absorption but also helps you lose weight by bringing in early satiety. The easiest way to add lots of fruits and vegetables to your daily diet
3. Nuts and soy protein are known to reduce LDL levels and increase HDL levels,
5. Fish ( not deep fried) is known to increase your good cholesterol (HDL) and reduce LDL. Please avoid red meat.
6. Among oils, oilve oils have a better profile than coconut oil and palm oil. It is a myth that oilve oil is completely safe, please take it in moderation
7. Avoid junk anf fast food like pizzas, burgers, pastas, etc

But the single most important entity when it comes to lipid lowering is exercise, exercise and exercise. No matter how much you diet if you dont exercise it is not going to help, Please engage in brisk walking, swimming or cycling for atleast 30 min a day

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries in regards to particular food items please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Suggest diet to help control cholesterol level? 13 hours later
thank you great recommendations!!!
particularly what type of nuts can i eat??? please provide examples...
are peanuts good? how about peanut butter?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
walnuts, almonds and XXXXXXX nut

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for getting back.

Among nuts I would recommend walnuts, almonds and XXXXXXX nut. Please remember they should not be salted or fried. Peanuts are not completely contraindicated but have them in moderation. Peanut butter is usually added with Palm oil for taste so it is best avoided.