Suggest diet for high cholesterol treatment

I am a vegetarian but I still have high cholesterol, I do not take oily foods either.My triglycerides level is 350. Total cholesterol is 220.HDL IS 32 and LDL is 155. My age is 49 he. 6.2 feet wt 88 kg .I do not want to take medicine . suggest me a diet plan and life style changes. At present I am doing brisk walk 4 km in 40 minutes.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Exclude diabetes and thyroid problem Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. The levels of all types of cholesterols are high, while the only 'good' cholesterol (HDL) is low. It can be due to either genetic/hereditary, sedentary lifestyle, a thyroid problem or, an underlying/undiagnosed diabetes. Further, your body weight is high by about 5kg. The GOLDEN PRINCIPLE IS : Burn MORE calories than you TAKE! The shortfall in the energy requirement would be met by burning body fats. Therefore, the recommended course of action is as follows:- * Get your Thyroid Function test done. If it is abnormal (under-active thyroids), an adequate hormone replacement therapy will automatically bring down the cholesterol levels. * Get your Blood sugar tests done to rule out/detect diabetes. * Take a Low Calorie, high carbohydrate, low fat, high protein diet. The dietary chart will be prepared- based on your personal dietary preferences- by a Dietician. In general, take lot of green leafy vegetables and salads; cut down on rice and its products, potatoes; completely avoid alcohol/smoking (if applicable), sweets, confectionary, junk/fast food such as pizzas, burgers. * Brisk walks do not burn enough calories. More vigorous exercises, such as, gym, jogging, cycling, swimming etc. would be more beneficial. * Reduce your body weight by 5-7kg in a phased manner. Maintain your blood pressure to ideal levels. * Avoid use of extra salt, such as, on salads. * Start a combination of cholesterol-lowering drugs ( a combination of Rosuvastatin 10mg + Fenofibrate 160mg) daily at bedtime. You may therefore, consult a Dietician for the diet chart. Giving one here is beyond the scope of this forum. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal