Suggest diet for atrial fibrillation

I have had episodes of atrial fibrillation for the past 2 years. Before that I would note an occasional flutter for a few seconds, but it was never diagnosed as AFib. I am on Micardis Plus once daily and Pradaxa twice daily as well as half a tab of Bisoprolol once a day. The episodes of AFib seem to be getting longer; (presently 3 days) and while they are not too fast, they reduce my strength by a half and it is particularly noticeable when walking up stairs etc. I am avoiding caffeine and alcohol and am wondering if there is any dietary, exercise or general health advice to limit these episodes or to restore normal heart rythm. .
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Diet for atrial fibrillation... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history and understood your concerns. It is good that you are avoiding caffeine and alcohol. I advise to also : - avoid energetic drinks/chocolate - eat more foods high in potassium (fish, avocado, mushroom, white beans, banana,etc.) I suggest to keep following up with cardiologist and to do regular check-ups including: - EKG - Holter monitoring - thyroid function tests Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!