Suggest cure for migraine and medicines that does not induce drowsiness

Nov 2013

Hi, I am suffering from Migraine from the past 3 yrs and when consulted a general physician, I was given Urgendol P, to be taken when the headache is high and only half a tablet. If I take saridon, the pain goes for just that moment and is back after few hours. When I take this medicine, I feel very drowsy and am not able to concentrate on any activity. Could you please suggest a cure for this migraine along with a pain killer which will not make me drowsy. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Ms XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. You get very frequent migraine headaches, so, your treatment should consist of preventive medications to reduce the severity and frequency of headache episodes also, in addition to using pain-relievers for severe headaches. For prevention of migraine attacks, you can use medications such as topiramate, beta blockers, flunarizine, etc. These are safe medicines and should be continued for long (until you get three or more headache episodes per month). In addition, for relief of acute headaches, you can use medications such as rizatriptan, sumatriptan or vasograin tablets. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: