Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest cheaper treatment for circumcision

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I have a friend, a woman with a 9 year old child who is not circumcised and the doctor says he has phimosis. She has read that some doctors do laser for this and prefer it. I"m wondering what that might cost for her child. thank you. XXXXXXX XXXX( this woman lives in Las Vegas by the way ) She doesn't have a lot of money and is afraid for her child.
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please go for conventional Circumcision Detailed Answer: Hi. circumcision is a very routine procedure and the results are the best with the conventional techniques. I do not see a single advantage of doing it by laser. Any procedure done by laser will cost one far more than the conventional surgery. If she has not much of money tell her to for the the routine surgery, I can assure you , one does not need lasers for such types of surgery.
Follow-up: Suggest cheaper treatment for circumcision 5 hours later
Doctor, Thank you for your reply. I understand what you are saying and I appreciate the fact that you are concerned that the idea of using a laser and the how much more money it would cost. I would like to ask you, isn't it a more difficult if the child is 9 going on 10 years old and he has phimosis? Or are the two that similar? Thank you, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: only difference of cutting mode for the foreskin Detailed Answer: Hi. The difference between the two procedures is the the mode of cutting the skin. Rest of the procedure is going to be absolutely same. So either of procedures are practically the same except for cutting and trimming the excess foreskin.