Suggest best class of technology for refrective surgery?

Ophthalmologist
Question
Hi, i am planning to go for refrective surgery. Need to know the best available teachnology as of date in india. Also, i have read a lot about cons n pros for this, but reviews are mixed if its good to go for such suregry or not. I see doctors also wearing glasses. If we have best of class technology available why not they are going for such surgeries. Need a genuine advise, please help.
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
thanks for sending your query to us.
There are a lot of individual factors involved in case selection for ref.surgeries.
There is another factor of available technology also.For 25 years Radial keratotomy was the surgery of choice and after a while it was decided that RK is not a good surgery and surgeons abandoned it completely.
You have a lot of happy patients after surgery,these are young people mostly in mid 20 s.There are hardly any figures to tell you what will happen after say another 30 years in your case.
A small drawback in cases like you is that when with a flawless surgery you have no power for next 8 years and start needing a near correction after 40,which as yet was not needed.
We do not have any data about your present power and your corneal thickness thereby deciding about the feasibility of surgery in your case,as a level of corneal thickness is needed to cut out a flap for laser.
You have rightly pointed out and this is what i tell my pts.that if it was such a wonder surgery why do we see all the eye surgeons with glasses.
I think i have touched upon all the salient features and would be be glad to answer if there is any further query in this regard.

Follow-up: Suggest best class of technology for refrective surgery? 24 minutes later
Thanks Doctor.

i proabably didn't get your point here - "A small drawback in cases like you is that when with a flawless surgery you have no power for next 8 years and start needing a near correction after 40,which as yet was not needed."

did you mean , without surgery chances are less of getting near glasses, and it gets more with ref surgery?

also, would want to know your opinon about RelEx Smile procedure, the latest procedure i guess for ref surgery? Thanks for your helpful opinions.

Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
thanks for getting back to us.
i have to make myself clear.40 years onward you will be able to read without glasses(if you do not have surgery)As you can read with or without glasses now.
If you have surgery now at 40+ stage you will need glasses for reading with increasing power,as you see people who are normal now start needing increasigly higher power glasses for reading as the years roll on.
As with any new procedure relex smile has to stand the test of time,over the passage of time large sample of people are operated upon and then you come to the conclusion if the procedure is as good as promised.
I again hope i have made things clearer,det back to me in case of any further query.