Suggest ayurvedic treatment for swollen uvula and dry mouth

ENT Specialist
Thank you for following up I'm not sure I'm getting a satisfactory answer from many doctors that I have already seen. All answers are different with not two alike. I woul truly appreciate your help and perhaps any colleagues you may confer with The uvula is still a little inflamed but now I am thinking that it may. E the tongue that is inflamed and not the uvula as much. It seems that the groove in the back of the tongue that should create the space for the uvula is not there- making the tongue more flat. I also wake up in the morning with a very dry mouth. It also feels that my esophagus just behind and under the Adam's XXXXXXX is a little clunky and feels like I need to crack it almost like a knuckle or bone to relieve it from possible tension. The mouth also feels a little dry and sticky so I keep hydrating and using lozenges I gargle with aloe Vera juice and some fermented holy basil Could it be candida( thrush) even though I have no lesions? An ENT specialist here locally thought it may be due to the very mild apnea I have and the snoring and could be some pepsin from the stomach too. I don't think so because I have no heartburn or feeling of irritation anywhere lower than the Adam's XXXXXXX As for very mild apnea and snoring I have had that for a while so why now would be my question? So if it is an infection - ( bacterial and viral were ruled out) can it be fungal or perhaps some allergy? But for so long(5 weeks) Comparing my mouth to a friends- uvula a look similar but his tongue groove is much more prominent. The only thing else I can say is that I sleep and wake up refreshed but my sleep is tending to be shorter - probably due to dry mouth and throat irritation that is waking me up. Sleep is usually 5-7 hours. Any Ayurvedic methods you may have or home remedies please as I do prefer to avoid heavy medication - unless you have the thing that will get rid of whatever I have relatively quickly Regards XXXX
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The appearance of the tongue may be due to lingual tonsil hypertrophy. 2. The dryness is usually due to mouth breathing, acid reflux or a post nasal drip. 3. In Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR), there are no chest symptoms. 4. Get a videolaryngoscopy done to rule out lingual tonsil hypertrophy, rule out thrush and to look for signs of LPR. You need to rule out all the conditions listed earlier. 5. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done to check for sinusitis which leads to the source of his PND (Post Nasal Drip). 6. Home remedies would include turmeric in warm milk late at night and honey based mixtures to soothe the throat. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest ayurvedic treatment for swollen uvula and dry mouth 3 hours later
Yesterday was the first day that I experienced temporary relief especially after dinner But it all came back again today not as strong The one difference is that it seemed that all swelling minimized but the tongue developed a white coating on it which I could scrub and brush off Would that mean that I may have candida( thrush) that started deeper in the throat and surfaced? Or some other fungal infection that may have affected throat mouth and sinuses??? The sinuses seemed to open up too and are fine today. The mouth is still Dry and sticky and water and lozenges with Manuka honey help If this is candida is honey not a source of food? As for reflux I feel nothing anywhere chest esophagus throat or mouth. Thanks once again doctor During the day when I am nose breathing very consciously, the throat is still a little sore and the mouth sticky and a little dry. As for tonsil hyper trophy- my tonsils were removed As a child and the area they are at does not looked inflamed. The only inflammation may be the tongue only slightly and the uvula is a little gelatinous looking with what looks like a fluid bulb at the end. A camera was sent in through the nose to see sinuses, nasal cavity and right down to the uvula. All seemed absolutely fine in there. No camera down the esophagus was done. As for reflux- I feel nothing in chest throat mouth or anywhere else pertaining to reflux. After I take gravies on- an antacid aid at night, there is no difference to the throat and mouth. I am certain it is not reflux. The feeling in the throat and mouth is the same day or night upright or supine. From your expertise can the white coating, though not tender and bloody underneath when scraped be thrush? Are these not symptoms of thrush as well? We have ruled out viruses and bacteria- the only thing left, ruling out reflux and physical deformities and hereditary issues would be fungal don't you think? Awaiting your response Respectfully XXXX
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Mouth breathing, dehydration, constipation and indigestion are common causes for a coated tongue. Decreased Salivation may also co-exist. Overuse of mouthwash may also lead to a coated tongue. Nutritional deficiencies including vitamins and minerals. 2. To rule out Oral Candidiasis, other fungal infections and 'biofilm' formation get a gentle scraping of the tongue sent for culture. 3. A simple biopsy may be considered. To check if this coating is fed by a deeper coating on the lingual tonsils, get the videolaryngoscopy done to examine the deeper throat and back of the tongue. 4. There are many species of Candidia, some of which are normal commensals. If the fungal or 'bofilm' is confirmed, under medical supervision you may try an anti-fungal mouth paint, gentian violet and a medicated mouth wash. Use a tongue cleaner gently. in the morning and night. Get an oral and dental examination and start multivitamin, anti-oxidant and mineral supplements. Reduce milk and dairy products. Under medical supervision you may try an anti-fungal mouth paint. 5. Do you have any other signs and symptoms such a bad breath (halitosis), ulcers or a burning sensation at times? I must emphasize that this may a common treatable problem. Most normal people have a coated tongue, especially at the back of the tongue where cleaning is not possible. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.