Suggest appropriate diet to gain weight and build immunity

My Son is 6 years old and very often gets sick (Fever – Once in a month). He is very thin. He is neither gaining weight nor feels hungry. I also consulted Doctors but they say he is OK for his age. As I am a working lady, I cannot look after his diet for the whole day but only in the night times. It will be really helpful if you could suggest me a proper diet for him that will give him nutrition and also help in gaining weight. Or any alternative that will help him.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX I need to know his weight and height to be better able to help. Getting fever once a month is usual for school going kids. I will not be worried about it. Since he is eating less, he may be having nutritional deficiencies. Thus he will need some blood test to rule them out. The blood tests can include complete blood count, hemoglobin levels, iron studies, serum folic acid level, serum vitamin B12 levels, serum calcium and vitamin D levels, fasting blood sugar, liver function tests (SGOT, SGPT), kidney function tests (serum creatinine, BUN), immunoglobulin levels, thyroid profile (T3, T4, TSH) and urinalysis. These tests will help rule out many important conditions that can lead to recurrent infections and loss of appetite. After getting the reports, you can discuss them with me or your doctor and I will be able to advice further if he needs any supplements. As concerns the diet, my advice is as follows: - Extra calories need to be added to his diet, if he needs to gain some weight. High calorie foods are milk products like cheese, butter, ghee, cream, ice cream, sweets, cakes, pastries etc. These need to be added to his diet. Cream is a good source of calories and can be added to his milk. Milk shakes can be prepared from it. It can also be added to his daal etc. Similarly cheese can be added to his sandwiches, noodles, etc. Ice cream can also be given along with meals. You need to find ways to make his food high calorie. - He should be taking 3 proper meals and 3 - 4 snacks in a day. - The food should be low in sugar, salt and spices. - It should be hygienic and resemble adult food consumed in your household. - Please avoid giving him juices, cold drinks and chips. - Give him adequate fruits and milk 2 - 3 glasses in a day. Hope it helps. Let me know if you have further queries. Dr Vaishalee