Suggest an altertative of Deseril for treatment of cluster headaches

I'm suffering from a Horton Syndrome for the past 30years, it only occurs a certain time of the year, it normally last for 3-5months. The medicine Deseril I've been using to partly prevent the number of attacks and keeping it fairly under control have now been discontinued by the manufacturer Alliance Pharmaceuticals, any alternative suggestions? I also use Maxalt -MLT when the migraine occurs usually at night which is reasonably effective. Without Deseril it will be very difficult to keep the cluster headaches under control. Thank you XXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Triptans, valproates Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. Horton syndrome basically has frequent cluster headaches. Its unfortunate that methisergide (Desiril) is no more available for you. We will have look for the alternatives and among the alternatives I prefer using either Triptans or Valproates in my patients. They do well with these drugs and have a good control of headaches. Sumatriptan can be given ones the headache starts and valproates can be given daily as a prophylaxis of cluster headaches. If your headache do not respond to these drugs as well then the other option for resistant cluster headaches is Amitriptyline. At 25 mg per day it provides a good control for cluster headache. Even Biofeedback therapy provided by psychologist is a good alternative. You may discuss all these options with your neurologist/psychiatrist or physician. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.