Suggest an alternative of Isosorbide

Hi-I am 66 and take 20mg of isosorbide each day have had a CABG-1996- and 3 stents.. have had no angina in years-.would there be any non nitrate substitute for this med? the side effects are bothering me now...have been on this for 3 years...thanks.. XXXXXXX note had combo implant-pacemaker/defib installed in 2006-developed tacycardia while working in Iraq--shocks me at 280 beats per minute-had ablation surgery in XXXXXXX in 2010-seemed to solve the problem!
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ilirian Laci 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thank you for writing HCM. I read carefully your query. The most side effect of isosorbide is headeache after that tolerance hypotension arterial etc. You may use Trimetacor(trimetazidine) or Ranexa (ranolazine) instead of isosorbite but first of all you should consult with cardiologist. I hope that I answered you. Wish you allbest. Dr Ilirian Laci
Follow-up: Suggest an alternative of Isosorbide 2 hours later
Thank you,Doctor....I just want to get away from the isosorbide and the Ranexa..I feel these combined are causing more side effects than I can tolerate....could I use a small dose of Levitra with the vastarel? I will talk to my cardiologist next month...My insurance charges me full price-ouch- for the Ranexa and I feel I've reached a tolerance with the iso....I appreciate your input and advice-especially if I could occasionally use the Vastarel with a small amount of the Levitra.... I still work 8-9 hours a day as a high school teacher and rebuild old muscle car engines on the weekend as my hobby.... XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilirian Laci 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Switching medicine without your doctors knowledge is not ideal.. Detailed Answer: As such I do not see any serious implication with vastarel, because it is indicated in angina. However Levitra use depends on your health performance. Ideally you should do stress test (treadmill) or coronary angiography before considering Levitra especially when you have had past history of coronary artery disease. . I hope that I answered you and wish you all best, Dr Ilirian Laci