Suggest an alternative of Cafergot for migraine treatment

I have been prescribed Cafergot for migraines which worked very well for me. I have now been told by my druggist that this drug is no longer available. What can I replace it with? And I do not want Imitrex - I have used it, the headache went away but came back again - too expensive. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can use drugs with same ingredients- wigraine Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic It seems from the history that you are having migraine and on treatment with Cafergot. Cafergot is a combination of caffeine and ergotamine and used in treatment of acute migraine attacks. Cafergot is the generic namne of this combination and it is not being manufactured by the company for some time now. You can use alternative generic drugs with the same combination like wigraine. Please do remember these drugs are vasoconstrictors and should be used only for acute attack of migraine under the advice of your doctor and the maximum dosage allowed is 10 mg per week or 6 mg per day. If you are having recurrent attacks safer and better prophylactic drugs like flunarizine or beta blockers are available and you can use them for prevention of migraine attack. Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you. Thank you