Suggest alternative treatment apart from muscle relaxer for torn ligament in right leg

General Surgeon
Lack my calf at the gym right leg went to see a doctor . torn ligament prescribe muscle relaxer my legs feel very stiff why the muscle relaxer does not help I have to tell you I go to the gym everyday I did stop for about a month .i do not feel better my daily live is like a struggle no matter what I do my legs are stiff I do stretch please help me
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Will need Ultrasound scan to assess severity Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I presume you meant torn ligament of gastronemeus muscle of the calf. If torn ligament is suspected clinically,ideally it should be managed with following measures 1. Absolute bed rest till pain subside 2. Analgesic like Ibuprofen will be very helpful to relieve pain. 3. Hot water fomentation 4. Limb elevation-placing the limb on.pillows will help reduce Oedema Normal gradual movements are normally started only after there is improvement in pain, early resumption of physical activity may cause soreness and stiffness. If the tear is severe or the pain is more it's important to completely immobile the calf by application of Plaster of Paris slab. As you still have stiffness and persistent complaints, I would suggest you to get Ultrasound scan of calf region to know the severity of ligament injury and whether it's healed, suggest you to see your Orthopedician to discuss it. Also adequate rest, hot water fomentation will be useful measures. Wishing you a happy and healthy life. Wishing you a speedy recovery I hope it helped Would be glad to assist you if you need any further assistance. Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS, MCH