Suggest alternative of Amitriptyline taken for sleep

I am taking citalopram 20 mg in the morning with 20 mg amitriptyline at night for sleep and also taking metoprolol 25 mg and candesartan 32 mg in the morning as well. I am 66 years of age and have been physically active most of my adult life. My health issues are low-grade adult-onset depression, allergies and "hypertension benign" -- although I have been on HBP meds for ten years. I have tried eliminating the amitriptyline at night because I know it gives me morning brain fog -- but it is very difficult because without the amitriptyline I toss and turn all night and have frequent headaches during the day. Do you have any advice for me?
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: switch over to much safer alternatives Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for posting the query. Amytryptiline at your age is a tough choice as it can be really frustrating trying to shakle out of it. It gives withdrawal headaches once you are off from it like you are experiencing, and day time drowsiness is a major issue. I would suggest you to switch over to much safer alternatives with little day time sedation like zolpidem. however, it may take some time before this transfer succeeds, like you should be prepared for some effects of withdrawal before you get used to zolpidem, may be in 1 or 2 weeks. Hope i was of some help.