Suggest alternative medicine for famciclovir to treat blisters

Please advise any other medicines or change of dosage etc. As already requested.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 32 minutes later
Management of shingles involves-
1)Preventing multiplication of virus or preventing progression of blisters.
2)Preventing development of post herpetic pain.
3)Treatment of existing pain.

Antiviral like famciclovir is given to prevent virus multiplication and this helps not only in preventing spread of disease but also prevents development of severe pain. It has to be continued for seven days. So kindly take it for three more days

Pregablin is given to treat pain. It is quite effective in treating pain of nerve or neural origin. You might need to continue this medicine as long as the pain persists which may persist for a prolonged period even after lesions heal.
As you are taking ultracet also, it might also be helping you as it is a combination of paracetamol and tramadol both effective pain killers.
If the lesions heal and pain becomes mild too, you might stop pregator and continue with ultracet for pain relief

Ritch lotion is to soothe affected area.

You do not need any other medicine but if in case your blisters have become yellow in color that is getting infected with pus formation, in that case antibiotics might be required. As you have not mentioned any such problem, so I would presume that they are drying and have scabbed.

The lesions would heal in seven to 10 days but persistence of pain can't be commented upon. There might be no pain once the lesions heal or there might be mild to severe pain after healing persisting for indefinite time.

Take a healthy nutritious diet to maintain good health and immunity. There is no diet restriction in shingles.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, feel free to write back. I would be happy to assist you.
Wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.
Follow-up: Suggest alternative medicine for famciclovir to treat blisters 2 hours later
dear doctor Thank you for the detailed advice. Now on the back big lesions burst redness is there few are turning yellow.Some times i am suffering with unberable pain. you advice antibiotic ? if so what antibiotic and dosage it necessary to increse intake of PENVIR from present 750 Mg to 1000 Mg there no other remedy for reducing pain such as injections . In fact I consulted skin specialist only after 3 days of infection.I am not diabetic and bloodpressure normal.Sorry for the trouble. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back
I would answer your queries specifically
1) if just few lesion are pus filled, clean the area with betadine and apply antibiotic cream like fusidic acid or mupirocin( T bact cream). However if most of the lesions are infected then oral antibiotics like augmentin can be taken as 625 mg thrice in a day or cefopodoxime 200 mg twice in a day for five days( standard adult dose). Prior to taking oral antibiotics, consult your doctor as these are prescription drugs.

2) normally antivirals should be added within three days of getting the infection. However in people beyond 60 we usually give antivirals irrespective of duration as chances of pain and progression of infection are high. Normally famciclovir is given as 500 mg thrice in a day but now there is no need to increase the dose. So take famciclovir in dose prescribed by your doctor
3) injections as such are not required when pain can be easily controlled with oral therapy. Continue with your oral medicines.

Hope that answers your query. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Suggest alternative medicine for famciclovir to treat blisters 1 hour later
Dear doctor I am greatly relived with your advice. further i wish to know wheather my husband 72 years aged should take herpes vaccine.He never got chickenpox from childhood. if the crems mentioned by you can i tryZOSTRIX CREAM A XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
As your husband never had chicken pox in life, so chances are if he gets infection from somewhere ( coming in contact with herpes zoster or chicken pox patient) he might develop chicken pox as the causative virus for both is same. Shingles develops due to reactivation of chicken pox virus in persons already infected with chicken pox in life earlier. So he may consider taking chicken pox vaccination. However have a detailed consultation with your doctor prior to taking it.

Zostrix I guess contains capsaicin, so it can be used later on when the lesions heal completely for pain relief.

Hope that answers your query. Take care.