Suggest alternative medications for treatment of diabete

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
OPINION REGARDING ALTERNATE MEDICINES FOR DIABETES TYPE 2 IN ADDITION TO ALLOPATHY MEDICINE WHICH IS CURRENTLY GOING ON.LIKE -Homoeopathy,Acupressure,Acupuncture,Ayurveda,Herbalism. -TESTS RESULTS AS ON 13 NOVEMBER 2013 HBA1C-6.4% AVERAGE BLOOD GLUCOSE-137 mg/dl FASTING BLOOD -113.8 mg/dl.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No good evidence Detailed Answer: There are no hard data supporting the role of complementary and alternative medications in the treatment of diabetes. To the best of my knowledge, there is no sound evidence published in respectable medical literature that supports the use of the above mentioned treatment modalities. Your average blood glucose results are fairly impressive. However, if I saw a patient like you I would modify the regimen a bit. For example, I would stop the volix M and amaryl M, and prescribe only SITAGLIPTIN 50 MG/ METFORMIN 1000 MG TWICE DAILY and Amaryl 1 mg to start with and then increase the Amaryl based upon the response to blood glucose levels, up to 2 and even 4 mg or so, once daily. Seeing an Endocrinologist in person will be extremely beneficial for your health long term to prevent complications of diabetes.

Follow-up: Suggest alternative medications for treatment of diabete 3 hours later
when i do sugar test immediately after 3/4 hours of sleep then sugar level increase above 200 mg/dl.so does sleep has any correlation with increased sugar level .

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: What you are describing i a very well known phenomenon. In the human body, hormones that oppose the action of insulin such as Growth hormone and cortisol, peak in the wee hours of the morning that results in glucoses rising early in the morning after overnight sleep. However, sleeping during later parts of the day is not known to have any such effects on blood glucose levels,

Follow-up: Suggest alternative medications for treatment of diabete 8 hours later
-reason for stopping volix M and amaryl M so that i can discuss with my doc -what should be done immediately if sugar levels r high -which is more accurate in sugar test lab or glucometer test. -endocrinologist vs daibetologist which is better.

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Second follow up Detailed Answer: 1 Reasons are complex and best discussed in person in consultation with Endocrinologist only, and not Diabetologist 2 Your glucoses are not that high to warrant immediate intervention. Often lifestyle modification such as healthy eating and increased physical activity along with weight control suffices. 3 Lab is most accurate but such precision is not necessary. Glucometer provides fairly consistent and reliable results to allow for decision making in terms of treatment or behaviour changes

Follow-up: Suggest alternative medications for treatment of diabete 43 hours later
should i go for enndocrinologist rather than diabetologist

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: In India, formally trained Endocrinologists carry the following degrees: MBBS, MD, DM (Endocrinology) or MBBS, MD, DNB (Endocrinology) or MBBS, DNB (Medicine), DNB or MNAMS (Endocrinology) Because these are highly specialized doctors, often they omit writing the MBBS degree after their names.