Suggest alternative medication to take for toenail fungus beside Lamasil?

is there an alternative medication to take for toenail fungus besides the oral Lamasil? I'm paranoid about that medication because if you have to get some liver function tests to make sure your liver can handle it, what on earth can it possibly be doing to your liver? Please let me know if there is an alterantive .
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 12 days later
Brief Answer:
Oral Itraconazole

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using XXXXXXX

For toe nail infection oral antifungals are preferred over topical antifungals as its a deep fungal infection.
Tablets lamisil contains terbinafine antifungal medication in it and this medication is effective against toe nail fungal infection.
Liver function abnormality is one of the side effect of this medication seen in few patients, so LFT needs to be monitored for early detection of effect on liver and stop or change medication.

Oral Itraconozole is also effective against toe nail fungal infection. Better tolerated and less side effects, Even it has effect on liver , but its very minimal . causes rise in alanine aminotrasferase only in 4% of patients.

Hope this answered your question.
Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries or doubts and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wish you good health. Take care.