Suggest a vegetarian diet plan to improve health condition

Dietitian & Nutritionist
I am XXXXXXX working for XXXXXXX software , My age is 25 years and i am a vegetarian i wanted to imporve my protein diet and want to have balanced diet i need know where can i get a diet chart and suggest some diet plan on day basis to improve my nutrition and well being thanks
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 15 hours later
Thanks for Posting your Query.

It would be good if you give us more information of what type of diet plan you are looking for from us.

Please mention your goal for diet plan like weight loss/ weight gain/ weight maintenance with muscle building, etc., along with your details like your height, weight, waist size and give us your daily routine eating pattern.

Give the freqnancy of consuming the following foods in a week:
Non- vegetarian foods, eggs, sweets or chocolates, soft drinks, fruit juices, bakery foods, alcohol or smoking habits, and also about your any form of physical activity that you are doing on a regular basis.

Kindly reply with details that will help to plan your diet chart.
Grace Abraham.
Follow-up: Suggest a vegetarian diet plan to improve health condition 3 days later
My objective is to reduce by lower back pain.
My height 169 cms and weight in 68 kgs.
many people say that lower back pain is caused to weak back muscles and to reduce we need strong muscles this can be obtained by regular excerise,healthy protein diet to build the muscular strength.

I am not regular consumer of fruit juices,alcohol and i dont have smoking habbit.

I somtimes bakery foods and tender coconut and regular basis. Daily mostly i will take late breakfast around 10:30 am and i am irregular taking break fast i daily eat rice at lunch and dinner some times at night i take dosas and roti.

Please help me in getting a proper diet plan for a complete week and let me know if i follow the diet will the lower back pain will reduce or not.
Answered by Grace Abraham 19 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

According to your height and weight, your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 23.8 kg/m, which is considered as Normal; the normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m.

Diet modifications and lifestyle changes are necessary in order maintain a healthy well being.

To start the day, try to have a good breakfast. Since there is an overnight fasting after dinner, you need a wholesome breakfast to provide sufficient energy to start for the day. Essential nutrients are very much important especially in the morning since your body would have used up the stored nutrients for the metabolism. So taking a very good breakfast is also very important key for maintaining your weight.

You can try taking various cereals, preferably high fiber with skimmed milk along with any fruit as it provides carbohydrates, protein , fats , vitamins & minerals. Your diet should be high in fiber, which includes complex carbohydrate XXXXXXX foods and low in fat. Include more of raw fruits and vegetables in the diet; avoid saturated fats and oily fried food stuffs. Keep yourself much hydrated; take at least 3-4 liters of water every day.

The following are some simple tips that you can modify in your daily routine:
Use only skimmed milk, buttermilk, low fat butter (e.g.: nutrilite), low fat chesse. Choose only baked or grilled items in order to reduce the fat content. Take at least two fruits in a day to increase the fiber content. Don’t take salads with high calorie salad dressings (eg: mayonnaise), instead choose salads with low calorie dressings (e.g.: those with olive oil). Choose Tofu (soy paneer), and other soy products like soy flavoured milk which is very low fat and high in protein. Instead of taking sweets in bed time, choose low fat fruit flavoured yogurt or a whole fruit.

Instead of taking junk snacks in the evening, choose wheat bread sandwich with mint chutney or sauce instead of butter or chesse or a fruit salad without cream which helps to suppress your hunger. Have an early dinner before 8 pm, avoid rice and any preparations made from rice during this time, have either roti made with wheat flour or jowar flour without oil,or any preparation made out of ragi or Broken wheat along with vegetables and dhal, include salads also.

Along with diet modifications, minimum 30-minutes of walk / physical activity of moderate intensity improves overall health.

Include 'Warm-up' and 'cool-down’ periods, before and after the exercise regimen.
Muscle-strengthening activities: There are many ways you can strengthen your muscles, whether it's at home or in the gym. Examples of muscle-strengthening activities for most people include:
•     lifting weights
•     working with resistance bands
•     doing exercises that use your body weight for resistance, such as push-ups and sit-ups
•     heavy gardening, such as digging and shoveling
•     yoga

How to Work Your Abs
•     You can effectively work your abs with 3 non-consecutive workouts a week
•     Do 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps of each exercise. If that's too easy, make sure you're doing each exercise correctly and using perfect form.
•      Replace processed food, junk food, cakes, chips and so on, with healthier options such as fresh fruits, vegetables, whole wheat products, low fat dairy products.
•     Another exercise that usually works wonders in burning tummy fat is to lie down on your tummy, while you face the ground. Raise your head and your feet simultaneously, and let your arms remain at your sides. Hold this position for as long as possible before you relax.

Flexibility, Balance and Mobility:
• Only do stretches after the body has warmed up, such as after a walk.
• Perform stretches for all major muscles, such as legs, chest, back and shoulders. This exercise can be performed daily or at least four times per week.
• Perform all stretches in a slow and controlled manner. Hold all of the stretches for 10 to 30 seconds without bouncing/jerking.

Hope I answered your query.

Grace Abraham.