Suggest a suitable way to quit smoking?

I would like to quit smoking, I tired many times but unable to quit, tell me the ways which can be followed
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drugs like bupropion and counselling will help

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

Medicines like bupropion and others will help in decreasing craving for the same

But, medicine alone is not sufficient. The following techniques work for our clients

1. List the techniques and methods that have worked even for few days and analyse them and then refine and follow them

2. List methods or situations that had forced to re-take smoking. Find an alternative solution of those events / situations by "problem solving strategy"

3. Taking Nicotine chewing gum whenever you have craving

4. Count backwards from 500 -3, whenever you have craving

These are many more techniques. Which technique will suit you will actually depend upon detailed history

Do you take any other drugs ?

Hope this helps. Good luck
Follow-up: Suggest a suitable way to quit smoking? 39 minutes later
no I don't take any other drugs
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nicotine chew gum, medicines and counselling helpf

Detailed Answer:
O.K, Thank you

In addition to our previous discussions and suggestions, it is important to be in regular follow up with a counsellor / psychiatrist

Sometimes, it becomes difficult to quit. But persistent effort in a technical manner brings success, as I have seen in my clinical experience

I am sure you should be able to quit, because your motivation seems to be strong

Wish you all the best