Suggest a safe medicine to delay period

Mar 2013

My name is XXXXXX. I needed a medicine to delay my menstrual cycle by 15 days. My periods' expected around the 5th of every month. Today is the 1st of April. My expected date is 5th April.

Pls let me know a safe medicine for it.

Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 hours later

Firstly, I would not advise you to interfere with your menstrual cycles unless it’s a dire emergency, specially since you have a history of irregular cycles in the past, and such hormonal treatment can further cause irregularity in cycles.
Anyhow, if you wish to proceed, you are slightly late for the treatment.
But you can give it a try.
You can start taking Progesterone containing tablets like Meprate 10 mg. twice a day starting from today till as long as you do not wish to have your period.
Once you stop taking the medicine, you would bleed within 3 – 4 days.
However, the exact dosage and regimen is best decided by a Gynecologist, based on clinical examination, your body weight and medical and drug history.
The dosage I suggested is merely tentative.
There are various conditions that cross react with progesterone preparations, so you should be screened for them.
Also, you should be absolutely sure that there was no chance of pregnancy or conception in the previous cycle.
This treatment would have worked better for you, if started a few days back, however you can still give it a shot.
Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.