Suggest a regimen to avoid recurring pain and stiffness in knees

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a 41 year male , in 2008 , i underwent ACL surgery and underwent physiotherapy as well . My weight is around 88 kg and height is 5.8 . My problem is that since November I have started going for walks , but knee joints really pains a lot . On top of this I have been also diagnosed as having plantar fasciitis since a month . Currently I do wear proper knee support as well as right shoe . I do take Glucosamine supplement + CitroMacalvit on a daily basis . I have knocked knee's as well to compound the issue . I am in a catch 22 situation - to loose weight , I need to exercise and walkng induces pain throughout the day . What would be a good regimen to follow to avoid the recurring pain + stiffness . Every morning I wake up with paining joints and heels . I would like to lead a pain free life . Please help advice a sustainable regimen.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: To help the pain, try following. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Planter fasciitis hurts the most with the first few steps in the morning because the plantar fascia is tight and has not stretched out yet, and throughout the day it loosens up. The best thing you can do is when you wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed and taking a step, give yourself a little foot rub. There are many things you can try to help your foot get better: Give your feet a rest. Cut back on activities that make your feet hurt. Try not to walk or run on hard surfaces. Do toe stretches, calf stretches and towel stretches several times a day, especially when you first get up in the morning. To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take asprin or ibuprofen at mealtime. A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort. Cortisone injection is a good mid to long term treatment. Consider using soft silicone heel cushions for preventing any further damage to fascia. If the pain is not responding to these modalities even after 6 weeks, a local steroid injection at the site might be helpful in relieving the pain. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care