Suggest Non-steroid treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica

Today the doctor diagnosed my partner with polymyalgia rheumatica? What is the treatment other than using steroids?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Drugs and physical measures often go together! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this diagnosis of polymyalgia Rheumatica and the numerous health conditions your partner is dealing with. I understand how difficult it is to watch a loved one battle through all these all by himself. Low dose steroids are the main stay of treatment. This is often accompanied by regular exercise, good diet and measures to help ease his daily activities. However, given the other conditions especially metastasized cancer to the bone, physical therapy and exercise would not be recommended. To be honest with you, given the various health conditions your partner is currently dealing with, I will not want to suggest any aggressive measures that may cause harm like fractures. The steroids would offer the very much needed relief and it is the best at this time. There are no alternative medicine procedures that have been used for this condition. I hope this addresses your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. I wish your partner the very best of all possible outcomes. Thanks for utilizing our services, we very much appreciate it. I also pray that God gives you the strength to stand and be a source of comfort, support , motivation and strength to him during these difficult moments. Dr. Ditah, MD.