Sugges treatment for backache

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Almost regularly towards late night I face some amount of back pain. Before Marriage my weight was 65 kgs and now it's 82 kgs. I am a house wife. I used to do regular exercise but still this issue persists. I tested myself for Thyroid but reports were negetive. What type of exercise or medication should I take? Does the reason realted with my husband who weighs around 110kgs? My husband helps me in reliving by applying some hand massage at the back but the issue comes back next day. My height is 5ft 6 in.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to bad posture and muscle spasm. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It seems that your increase in weight; wrong body posture; inadequate exercise and reduced muscle tone is taking a toll on your back. Since your husband is also overweight that is also adding to your problem. For pain to go, it takes not only rest (on a comfortable bed) but also avoidance of particular positions (during work, rest or recreation). During the day don't sit in one position for more than an hour and take frequent stretch breaks. Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. Also discontinue any strenuous activity or exercises for some time. I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the pain. You may go for a physical examination by your Orthopedician to rule out any spine related pathology. You may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions. Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain. You can discuss about this with your Gym instructor. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. Kindly follow up with me about your progress. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL