Sugar level under control. Bad desire for sex in vain. Why am I lacking production of sperms?

Question
My sugar level has now been under control since last 2 months. I am 68 yrs old but I have ED problem. I have tremendous desire for sex but in vain. Am I lacking in producing sperm? Why my gender is not getting aroused?
Pl help me and suggest some quick remedies.

Bj
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Basically what you are having is erectile dysfunction. An erection problem is the inability to get or maintain an erection that is firm enough for a man to have intercourse. If the condition persists, the medical term is erectile dysfunction.

Causes may be psychological, smoking, alcohol, illicit drugs and medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, low testosterone, depression, spinal cord and neurological causes. In your case, diabetes although well controlled may be an important cause. Cardiovascular disease, hypertension, and diabetes can reduce blood flow to the body, including the genitals.

This may cause erectile dysfunction. Lack of production of sperms will not cause erectile dysfunction. It's common for men with diabetes to have other chronic conditions mentioned above that can cause or worsen erectile dysfunction.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you. First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any), indulge in physical exercise and eat a healthy diet. Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress.

You can talk to your partner openly and indulge in plenty of foreplay before sex. Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is very effective. If however the symptoms persist then we need to rule out the medical conditions mentioned above.

The commonly prescribed drug by the doctors is sildenafil, which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting. However it is not safe to take this drug without a doctor’s advice and moreover it is important to rule out these medical conditions as well. If medications aren't effective, you may try a penis vacuum-constriction device called penis pump after consultation from a urologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Sugar level under control. Bad desire for sex in vain. Why am I lacking production of sperms? 27 hours later
No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol,no high BP, no heart or thyroid condition. no low testosterone, caused little depression for not performing the sexual act, but overcome immediately, no spinal cord, neurological causes due to diabetic have now been vanished. Continuous morning and evening walk for the last several years keep me fit. I think I am lacking in producing sperms quantity, which is to be produced. I will definitely consult about foreplay before sex. I shall love to receive your further valuable advice in this regard. Hope the medicine 'sildenaffil' will give some relief.The provision of Aerobic exercise is not available in our area.
Eagerly waiting for ur valuable advice and quick healing.
Thnx
JV Bhadange

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Lack of production of sperms will not cause erectile dysfunction. If you are apprehensive regarding the production of sperms, you can get a semen analysis done. The normal sperm count is over 15 million sperms and volumes between 1.0 mL and 6.5 mL are normal.

Follow-up: Sugar level under control. Bad desire for sex in vain. Why am I lacking production of sperms? 20 hours later
Hope my doubt about less qty. of sperm has been cleared. Then where am lacking? I have tremendous desire to perform the act but in vain. Pl clear it very specifically. I repeat to state that will your suggested 'sildenaffil' can be effective or is their other useful remedies? Pl suggest.

JV Bhadange

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

It is true that you have tremendous desire for sex but about 75% of diabetic men suffer from erectile dysfunction or impotence. The erectile dysfunction develops earlier in diabetic men than non diabetic men.

Diabetes damages blood vessels (peripheral vascular disease) and nerves (neuropathy) throughout body. When blood vessels and nerves which control erection, are damaged, they do not communicate properly and the blood flow to penis tissue is impaired. This causes erectile dysfunction. Drugs like sildenaphil citrate may help but must be taken under medical supervision.

Apart from this, a good lifestyle measure like exercising regularly could be effective which you are already following.