Sugar level is 300 after eating. Is this reading in normal range. What to do?

Jan 2013

hello. my sugar level is 300 after eating , it is first time i have checked by glucometer. what should i do?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 13 minutes later

You should go for blood sugar fasting and postprandial sugar (after exact 2 hours).

Treatment is decided by both values and opinion regarding treatment is different by different doctors.

I generally try to keep fasting sugar at 100 mg% and PP at 140-150 mg% which is optimal.

Do you have family history of diabetes/ heart disease/ obesity?

Are you a smoker/ alcohol intaker?

Apart from Blood sugar Fasting and PP, you should go for other investigation also: serum creatinine, blood urea, serum electrolytes, complete blood count, glycated hemoglobin (tells you level of blood sugar in last 3 months and need not to be repeated in every visit), serum lipid profile.

You should follow dietary restriciton with avoidance of sweets.

You should increase your physical activity.

There are few misconception regarding diabetes such as "diabetes occurs due to intakeof sweet", "if I will stop taking sweets then my sugar comes down", "if medicine for diabetes has been started then it should be taken for life long" & "if I will increase my physical activity then my sugar comes down". All these are false and kindly dont follow them.

You may remain in follow up after start of your medicine for diabetes.

Put your query if you have.

Best regards,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava