Suffers from psoriasis and on methotrexate, on chemotherapy. Has low WBC count, what could be the cause?

Hi, my partner has just been told he has a WBC of 1.5 and has to undergo further blood tests. He suffers from psoriasis and is currently on 20 mg of methotrexate weekly. He hasn't been feeling well for some time, and has been on the chemotherapy treatment for the last 5 years. What could be causing his low WBC?
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand you are concerned but, the most important information from your query is the fact that your partner is on chemotherapy and methotrexate, which can both cause a low WBC. Neutropenia (low WBC count) is documented when someone is on chemotherapy and methotrexate. Although there could be other causes as well, these two can seems to be the most likely cause.

Is there any other abnormality seen on the blood count report.

Other close possible causes are viral infections, bone marrow abnormalities and anemia. If you have the complete blood count report, please upload them here. And let me know if he suffered / is suffering from fever.