Suffers from pain in legs, hands, shoulder with headache and eye pain. Is it due to fibromialgia or arthritis?

My wife is 40 year old. she sufferes from pain in legs hands shoulders head ach very strong eye pain. also she has in the morning more worse. she have seen a doctor that said she has fibromialgia. I want to know 1)if fibro can cause strong head ach and eye pain? 2)how can i be sure it's fibro and not Arthritis? now she did X-rays and I want you to take a look at them.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 7 hours later

Sometimes fibromyalgia may be associated with other conditions like migraine, cognitive symptoms. So although per se the pain may not be because of fibromyalgia it may be an associated condition.

Arthritis is inflammation in joints, therefore it is not difficult to distinguish between the two.
Arthritis causes pain, swelling, warmth and stiffness in joints whereas fibromyalgia is body pain generally without any signs of inflammation and associated with sleep disturbances and fatigue. Besides the clinical symptoms, blood tests like ESR and Rheumatoid factor are normal in fibromyalgia.

The X-rays look pretty much fine, I would say they are normal.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Suffers from pain in legs, hands, shoulder with headache and eye pain. Is it due to fibromialgia or arthritis? 9 hours later
Thank You.
In my wifes case, she sufferes from pain in the morning first 3 hours and she can't get off the bed becuse pain, also she sufferes from eye pain does this 2 things related to fibromialgia?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 7 minutes later

Mornings are generally worse for people with fibromyalgia as well as for people with arthritis; so we cannot distinguish on the basis of that.

Eye pain is related to the headaches and to fibromyalgia also. So actually both the things are related to fibromyalgia.

Hope it is clear now.