Suffers from Post-traumatic stress disorder and had head trauma. Done with MRI. Had bilateral shaking of hands, feet and seizures. Related?

Nov 2013

My sons MRI shows punctate areas of hyperintensity in the right mid brain. He suffered head trauma in a vehicle accident in Afghanistan and suffers from Ptsd. He had bilateral shaking of his hands and feet for awhile and several episodes of what appears to be seizures Are these all related?
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI findings may not be related to the seizures

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

MRI findings in the mid brain could suggest the changes due to old head injury. Usually, problems in mid brain do not lead to seizures.

Seizures are most often due to changes/abnormalities in the cerebral cortex, which is not affected as per the MRI. Doing an EEG (electroencephalography) would help further in the diagnosis of seizures.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: