Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Since beginning on July I have been suffering with severe worry and anxiety-
Reasonings for this-
Is change in bowel habits
(Diarreah, constipation, soft stools in pieces)
Nausea
Cramping
Stomach grumbling
Fatigue
Dizziness
Smaller appetite
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 41 minutes later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

I think you are suffering from IBS-M (irritable bowel syndrome-mixed type) since you are not having alarming symptoms like weight loss, any bleed from GI tract or any nocturnal symptoms. Few facts about IBS:
1. Is a chronic disease which has relapsing and remitting course
2. It will never harm you even if it will persist for whole life
3. Stress, life events, and anxiety leads to aggravation of symptoms
4. Intestine becomes hypersensitive so even discomfort is perceived as pain
5. Increase gas production leading to abdominal fullness and bloating
6. No alarming features like weight loss, gastrointestinal bleeding, or fever

So I will like to advise you to take:
1.Take some proton pump inhibitor like rabeprazole and a prokinetic agent like domperidone
2. Some antispasmodic agent for cramps like mebeverine
3. Some medications that enhances appetite like cyproheptadine
4.some antianxiety drug like clonazepam

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 11 minutes later
What is nocturnal symptoms%3F I have this every day all day- today is mainly neasua and burning sensation - i also noticed my bowels a lottle thinner but it is hard to tell since it is chunks- i have lost 5 poinds this month - i know on the past i generally do with anxiety-- i also pnly have one bm a day regardless what type it is - %0A%0AI just had 4 vials of blood taken%0AForget which ones and pelvic ultrasound was fine-- would that show colon issues%3F

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 7 minutes later
Hello! Thanks for feedback.

Nocturnal symptoms means symptoms at night like awakening from sleep due to these symptoms.

Loosing of weight is worrysome feature, if it is not due to some restriction of diet?

What were the blood reports, will you please upload them

Waiting for feedback

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 4 minutes later
Last niight i woke up 3 times but i was very worried- %0AI was doetig a little bit yes ans atopped eatingn sweets and drinking. Otherwise nothing too much just less of an appetite- %0ABlood test being done%3A%0ACant remember all but%0A cbc %0ACealic disease%0AHi ployri%3F %0AAnd somethise else

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 minutes later
Let's wait for the reports but meanwhile you may start with the above medicine.

If you don't mind may I know why are you so much worried if it is all because of illhealth?

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 5 minutes later
It started in july when i thought i had inflammatory breaat cancer %28my mom had it%29 rhen i was very worried about of and pretty mich consumed my dad for 2 weeks during this time i had diarreah maybe 2x a day once it was confirmed i didnt have it i felt a little better but still soft bm i started to get worried XXXXXXX peiod was late hense the pelvic ultrasound since i was having cramps- period came and i felt a little better but still soft bm or diareeah so i researched and colon cancer came up- i felt i matched most of the symptoms so i am in panic mode again- i feel at times when i talk about it my pain gets worst possobly -

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 13 minutes later
That's the reason why you are so much worried. It's not always like that. It happens when one read about some disease and feels that her symptoms resembles to that disease especially when you are already anxious and tense, believe me it happens. For example the most important fact which you have missed is AGE. Colon cancer usually occurs after the age of 50 years and you are only 29 years. So please don't worry let's wait for the blood reports. keep in touch.

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 13 minutes later
I rrally appreciate you taking the time for this wirh me%21 I know symptoma resemble things just with so many dead on its so scary- my boggest fear is cancer especially loaing my mom from it and with symtpoms showig up its very alarming- can my anxiety%2Ffear make symptoms appear%3F I should get my blood work by tuesday- what would be the best test to rule of cancer%3F Also would my pelvic ultrasound show a colon issue%3F %0A%0ADo you know of quantom biofeedback%3F %0AThat was done on my just seeing from a md perspective how reliable it is

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 9 minutes later
Best tests to rule out colon cancer is colonoscopy

I don't think ultrasound for pelvis is of help in resolving colonic issue

I don't know much about quantom feedback especially about the reliability. Please excuse me for that

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 2 days later
Blood results

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 hours later
hello! Sorry I could not find any attached blood reports

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 21 minutes later
Sorry i dont know why- my protein was 8.3 so high by .1 and my urea nitrogen %28bun%29 was low by .1-2 i think- i can send in am- my abdominal ultrasound was normal today . I want to be asked to be referred to a gi specialist. They believe its all stress%2F anxiety distrupting my body

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 4 hours later
Hello! These tests are taken as normal, no need to worry. I think you should start above mentioned medications. Then let's see the response. You have GI problem which is aggravated by stress so it is not completely due to stress. With above medication I hope you will feel better. Remain in touch.

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 8 hours later
Blood teports

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Hello! All are ok nothing to worry about

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 1 minute later
Would blood show colon cancer%3F

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 22 hours later
Hello! Sorry for delay. It was a very hectic day for me.

In colonic cancer there is one marker which is increased is CEA. However it is less specific. But in appropriate clinical setting it can support the diagnosis of colon cancer.

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 2 minutes later
Okay - thank you. I was referred to a gi so once the referral goes through then i will get a colonoscopy. Hopefully that will answer all my questions and be okay- thank you

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 10 minutes later
Ok. Hope you will get well soon. remain in touch

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 3 minutes later
I will- thanks%21 My doctor doesnt seems concerned at all- thinks its ibs- she felt me yesterday and said everyrhing felt normal including ultrasound so she wishes i would relax

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 11 minutes later
Most welcome. Remain in touch

I will thanks%21

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 minutes later
Ok!

Follow-up: Suffering with worry and anxiety. Have change in bowel movement, nausea, cramping and low appetite. Suggest? 8 days later
I hady colonoscopy today- dr said all went well and looked good- took 2 biopsies but said not to worry and no sign of cancer- wanted to send your way and see what you think

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
So cheer up

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Nice to hear that colonoscopy is normal, so leave all worry. Hope biopsies will also be normal. Biopsies are usually taken for screening so if there was no lesion biopsies will also be most likely normal.